What's What with Maddy?

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Lady Track Shack 5k


I invited a bunch of my friends and co-workers to join me at the Lady Track Shack 5k. I have heard it's the largest Ladies Only 5k in the Southeast. If it's not anymore, it used to be...

I offered to pick up race packets for everyone - I was trying to make it as easy as possible for people to join me. Because I always wear a bandana when I run, I decided to add bandanas to the race packets for my entire crew. I got some pink camo bandanas for everyone. It turned out to be really helpful in locating one another.

Susan, Val, Kelly, Kristi, Dawn and I met up at the entrance to Mead Gardens around 7:00AM. We chatted for a bit and headed to the start line. We probably waited too long to get there - we were pretty far back. I always longed for a running buddy at the starting line. I am usually there by myself without anyone to talk to and it seems that those around me are caught up in their own conversations. Today, I had buddies!

As soon as the gun sounded we seperated. I was trying to get past the walkers and the runners who were three or four wide (Why do people do that?). I spent the first quarter mile or so running on the grass to get where I wanted to be and out of the cluster.

At the first mile the timing clock said 9:10. I looked at my watch (for the only time during the race) It said 8:27 - It had taken me 43 seconds to cross the starting line.

My biggest concern about the race had been the "killer hill". that runs along the Winter Park Ninth Grade Center. I have never been a big fan... However after Clermont in November and last week in Clearwater, as I ran the hill this morning, I was thinking "This is it? This is what I was worried about? This is nothing!" I sailed up it.

At mile Two it began to rain. Just a litle sprinkle - It lasted for just a few minutes and it was absolutely refreshing!

The brick roads were a little slippery and I watched my footing so I was sure I didn't take a "digger" as Kelly calls them.

I made my way to finish line with a new PR.

  • My Offical Time: 28:09


  • My Chip Time: 27:26


  • w00t!

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Congratulations on your new PR!!!! Sounds like it was a great run!

    10:26 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home