What's What with Maddy?

Sunday, January 14, 2007

What's a Girl to Do?

Running takes a toll on your feet. I have some great shoes, thanks to the fine folks at the Track Shack I don't generally have a problem with my hip anymore - Bye bye Adidas... Once upon a time a pair of New Balance I had made my toe hurt incredibly bad, I couldn't take it any more.

Under average circumstances, running a few miles here and there wouldn't make that big of a difference but I am currently providing my feet with what some may consider tourture. My feet don't hurt me. The problem is, my toenails are black, blue and in some cases missing.

For most, it may not be an issue. And I can work around it. Luckily I have a shade of polish that is remarkably close to the color of Barbie Band Aids. The Band Aid goes mostly unnoticed. Whew... It saves from having to answer what really happens to runner's feet.

But why would anyone see my feet in January? Just like most of the country, Florida has been experincing some crazy warm weather. Pair that with the fact that I work in a super casual office - my boss wears shorts two or three times a week... While I choose not to wear shorts, I am a fan of slip-on sandals and jeans. The shoes here are just an example, not a pair I own, or would even wear. But you get the idea...

I am a smart woman. However, sometimes, the obvious goes right past me. One morning last week while I was putting on the daily pink band-aid, Darrell said, "Why don't you just wrap your toes before you run?"

Good question. Why don't I? This morning I had a long run planned and I decided to give it a try. After the eleven miles I put in I felt pretty good. The toes on my right foot are a little sore, but they have been and those toe nails may forever be band-aided. I am happy to report that my left foot is feeling fine. I am going to continue wrapping my toes for my long runs. I hope it works. I would save a ton on band aids. And, maybe my toe nails would grow back so I can get a decent pedicure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't been a serious runner that long...but for all the long runs I put in last year I never had problems like that with me feet. Are your shoes too small? Hmmmmm. In fact, I wear a pair all the time unless I go to work - better support for my flat feet and plantar issues.

Hope your new solution works for you!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home