What's What with Maddy?

Sunday, January 07, 2007

2007 Disney Half Marathon - 2:13:38



I decided to pick up my bib and race packet on Thursday night. I headed out to the Wide World of Sports directly after work. Last year, we waited for 45 minutes just to get inside the Milk House on Friday evening. I was sure it would be the same way this year. I had an opportunity to cruise through the expo. I felt bad for the guy selling the Tyvek suits. Last year in anticipation of the 26 degree start, he was busy. He was selling like crazy. This year, with the low forecasted at 63 degrees, no one gave him a second look. I did buy a sticker from the lovely ladies at One More Mile. I knew Saucony was going to be there. I was hoping they would be offering the same red shoe laces they were selling in New York to help end childhood obesity as a part of their Run for Good Campaign. The laces were not available at this event. Boo!

Friday, we headed to the Pop Century Resort to check in for the evening. There was a line here - about 30 minutes, at least we didn't have to get my packet too!

We discussed going to one of the parks for a little while, but I didn't think I would have enough time. We ate dinner at the hotel and took the kids to the arcade. at 8:30 I headed back to the room and Darrell took the kids to EPCOT. One of the benefits I didn't realize would be useful when making my reservation in July are the Extra Magic Hours. A pre-determined park remains open late for resort guests. I was able to get some rest and the kids felt like we weren't just there for the race.

I was up at 2:50 AM on Saturday. I had no idea how crowded the buses would be or how long it would take to board. I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I boarded the bus at 3:20 AM. I was surprised that I was able to walk right on the bus and it wasn't even full. Don't get me wrong, it's not like there wasn't anyone there. There were a total of 12,282 finishers. It was crowded!

I was excited that based on my time at the Gulf Beaches Halfathon, I was moved to Wave A-2. I wasn't sure what that would mean, other than I would be closer to starting line. Last year it took me eight and half minutes to cross it. This year, I was across in a minute. The faster I am becoming the longer I stay in the pack. It seems like it takes a lot longer to break free, or be left behind.

It was amazing to feel how my dedication to training over the past year made an improvement. Last year the sun had risen by the time I was in front of the Contemporary Resort. This year, I was through the Magic Kingdom before the sun was up.

I signed up ahead of time to get text messages and emails for my 10k time (58:50), 15k time (1:31:50) My 15k time was four minutes faster than my Minnie Marathon time back in May. It was great to get back to the room and see how my times were. I really didn't want to wait until Saturday evening when we got home.

After mile ten I felt myself starting to slow a bit more. I realize now that to get in under two hours I'm going to have make my long runs 15 - 20 miles. The ten mile runs can get me through, just not as fast as I would like.

I have a few weeks until the Clearwater Halfathon I need to focus on my hills and my distance.

I decided I will most likely never get a new PR at Disney. There are too many people and I spent the first few miles trying to negotiate where I felt comfortable with my pace. I spent another bit of time dodging elbows. I'm 5'2 and with many tall guys what, 6'4? pumping their arms, I narrowly missed elbows in the eye no less than six times. Dispite this, Disney is still my favorite race. It's exciting to be a part of such a magnificent, magical event. I can't wait until next year!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the note on my blog and for thinking of me last Saturday. Folks who ran the Goofy told me that it was cooler at the start on Sunday, however, since we finished later in the am, we probably felt more of the heat.

Best of luck on your half marathon endeavors! Maybe I will see you at the Outback 12K.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home