What's What with Maddy?

Monday, January 22, 2007

That's No Ordinary Bridge...



Sunday morning started out a bit chilly. I debated over what I should wear. I had my pants with me and thought I would go that route, but I changed my mind at the last second and decided to wear shorts, a short sleeve tech shirt, a long sleve tech shirt and a throw away long sleeve thermal shirt.

It was 57 degrees when I left New Port Richey at 6:00 AM. I headed south on US 19. I was glad we headed down on Saturday to get my race packet for a few reasons.

#1 I had no idea where I was going

#2 Clearwater is a little further South than I thought

#3 The line to get packets on Sunday morning was INSANE!

When I got there I streched a little and put those two long sleevers back in the car. I knew I wasn't going to need them. I was a little chilly until the race got underway, but I toughed it out.

The first half mile was smooth sailing and then we hit the bridge, Memorial Causeway. It was slow going up. I was suprised to see that at the one mile my pace was just over 9 minutes.

No worries! The course took us along the Gulf and through the touristy area of Clearwater Beach and then over the second bridge on the route, Sand Key Bridge. We then weaved our way through Sand Key Park. And then back out to the street and along Condo Road. We made the turn to head back at about the 7.5 mile mark.

At mile 9 it was back over bridge number two. I was starting to slow down. I was moving along , refusing to stop...

I was feeling pretty strong through the touristy area, past Captain Memo's Pirate Ship. and back onto the road that would ultimately lead back to the Memorial Causeway

Then I was hit by the wind. I felt like I was running in place. To say it was windy would be an understatement. I got to the Causeway, it was mile 12. So close, but I still had that major climb.

I made it! Sailed down and cruised into the finish line. The race collatoral did not lie. This was not a PR race. My final time: 2:18:06 - Three seconds behind my OUC time, and my poorest performance of the season.

I knew it was going to be hard. I still wanted better.

My plan now is to work on my hills, work on my distance and blow Sarasota out of the water!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know you are not happy with your time, but you got out there and beat the "hills". I am sure you will blow Sarasota out for sure!

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home