What's What with Maddy?

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Turns Out, It was the Humidity!



Saturday the fam and I headed to Madeira Beach in preparation for the Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon. I picked up my race packet and I briefly perused the expo that was set up inside City Hall. I was able to find "my shoes" for a screaming deal -$69.00 - I think I paid $100 or $110 for my last pair of the exact same shoe.

Our next stop was hotel check-in. I asked for late check out and was denied. Apparently, "runners" have taken advantage of them in the past. Now, this is no chain. Just a small little family run operation, with marginal rooms. This was the third time this year we've been there. My thought is, we don't go to the beach to stay in the room. We need a place to sleep and a place to shower. The rest of the time we spend at the beach or at the pool. The price was right, so we kept going back. We won't go back again. I was told if we were in the room after 11:00AM, we would be charged for another day. Because I wasn't sure how quickly the shuttles would be running from the finish line to the start, I had Darrell and the kids check out of the hotel and meet me at the finish line. We drove a little further north to New Port Richey and I took a shower at Darrell's sister's house. Needless to say, our next trip to Madeira Beach will lead us to a different hotel.

We ate dinner at a little Italian restaurant. The kids were happy with cheese pizza, Darrell had a spinich calzone, and I ate spaghetti. Nothing special, but it had the carbs I needed for the next day. We took the kids to get ice cream and we found a little ice cream shop that had all kinds of retro candy. Pop Rocks, Zotz, Jumbo jawbreakers... It was really fun!

All of the action and I was still alseep before 9:00 PM.

I woke up at 5:45 AM got dressed, ate a Clif Bar and walked to the start line. I was there with plenty of time to spare. I wanted to be there to support the early walkers who started at 7:00AM - I guess it really didn't matter. The start was a little disorganized -

The runners started at 7:35 to a gunshot start - no chip timing at this race. The weather was great! Nice and cool. It warmed up, but the it was still just a beautiful day. The miles flew by. before I knew it, I was at mile 4. Then mile 7. I was moving right along.

I had followed a lady with two pigtail braids until right around mile 7. The course went through a park and she stopped for a potty break. I really thought I would follow her to the end.

The course went several miles on the Pinellas Trail. It was nice and shady, and I felt like I was picking up some speed. We ran from the trail and into Taylor Park in Largo. I was so excited to see Darrell's car. First, he had found the park. Secondly. for the first time ever, he and the kids were going to see me cross the finish line!

I could hear Stone andChase behind me running, chanting "Go Momma, Go Momma, Go Momma"

The final time? 2:08:31.

I'll take it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home